I walked around Cork by myself today. It was good to get away from everyone and have some time alone. No having to wait for someone taking pictures, or trying to catch up when I take pictures. Everything was at my own pace.
The focus of my excursion was to visit St. Finnbar's Cathedral. It was absolutely beautiful. The ornate sculptures around the entrances and the architecture of the church were amazing. There were individual people carved into the walls. The steeples towered into the sun. I think I spent a good hour taking pictures of the outside of the church. I wanted to explore the interior, but there was a mass being held inside, so I could not get in. I suppose that might have been rude if I did though.
With my plans of exploring more of the church thwarted, I explored the surrounding grounds of the church. I found that there was a very old graveyard behind the church. Most of the graves were from the late 1800s, around the time that the church was built. My mind cannot even comprehend that long ago. Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom back then. America was expanding westward. And these people were busy dying. Events that I only read in textbooks were realities for these people.
No comments:
Post a Comment