Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Wrong Side

The other day we took a bus ride from Shannon to Cork after flying into Ireland. The entire group was pretty tired from jetlag, so we slept. I slept off an on mostly; I've never had much luck falling asleep on a bus and the sun kept shining on me and making me hot. Eventually I did get some sleep however. When I woke up, we were still on the road, driving through the Irish countryside, but I was in a sleep-induced stupor and when I looked out the window I momentarily freaked out. We were driving on the wrong side of the road!


I eventually came to my senses, realized that I was in Ireland, and fell back to sleep. That feeling has stayed with me however: that feeling of fear from driving on the wrong side of the road. Since coming to Ireland I have found myself doing things and considering things that I would not have if I were still home in America. It has really started to make me think.


On the one hand it's a good thing to contemplate your current habits, choices, decisions, beliefs, values, etc. and consider whether or not they are right. This is smart. You get a better handle on why you believe what you believe and why you do what you do. But what happens when you decide what you normally have been doing is right, but then decide what you want to do is wrong? What happens when you realize you are driving on the wrong side of the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment